Monday, November 30, 2009

" We All Have AIDS..."


As a kid a red ribbon used to mean " Choice for me - drug free..."

And then I moved to New York City and the red ribbon had a new meaning.

For the first time I met people living with HIV/AIDS. People that became my friends, friends that became a part of my life - friends who sadly left my life because of the virus.

I was just a kid when the AIDS epidemic first happened in the 80s -- I can only read about it and hear the stories from friends of mine who lost their entire circle of friends,partners, and family. But I know that this epidemic is not over - we are still fighting.

December 1st is World AIDS Day. It's a day to remember those who we've lost to HIV/AIDS, to those who are living with HIV/AIDS and to raise awareness on how to prevent people from getting the virus.

I don't update this blog very much but something "inside" me wanted to do this.. I think we should all think about this virus...

Think about the stigma that comes with it..

how to prevent it..

how to take care of yourself if you have it..

lend support to those around us who have it..

and to know that the face of HIV/AIDS is...us.

I once saw a t-shirt that said - " We All Have AIDS."

something to think about this World AIDS Day 2009.


Get tested.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.